What does that word mean?

The purpose of this blog is to enhance vocabulary through creative writing. Each week I'll post a new word and its definition, and each week I'll write a new creative piece that uses that word in a way that, hopefully, helps you and me remember what it means for longer than it takes you to read this.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Curse of the gadfly

Like many writers, I worked on my high school newspaper. Also like many writers, I fancied myself a talent. Like many teenagers, I didn't realize that what I felt was talent was actually plain youthful cockiness. Regardless, I went about my journalistic duties with a confidence I haven't been able to attain since.

In my seemingly infinite wisdom, I believed that a journalist needed to write to her audience. When writing for teenagers, keep the verbage dynamic, but keep the vocabulary distinctly young adult (Read: no big words).

So when I read a piece by a fellow student that was being prepared for publication, I had my first argument with an editor. Now, I looked back through my old-but-nearly-pristine copies of Paw Prints, but I did miss a few issues, and I was unable to locate the piece in question. I don't remember the topic, the angle, or the people interviewed, but I do remember the word I fought so hard against: gadfly. To honor the humility that comes with age, I thought it only fitting that I force myself to use the word I'd rallied so hard against.

So there it is, in black and white, the word and its accompanying definition. Granted it lists two definitions, but the one we're going to focus on for this week's creative writing experiment is the second.



The assignment this week is the same as it will be each week: Create and original work that uses the word in a way that best provides a definition through context.

Check back Tuesday for the first of many mini masterpieces.

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment